Nymph Tick

Nymph Tick

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bartonella treatment & Dysautonomia...both are the DEVIL!

I haven't blogged in some time! A lot going on lately though. I have been attempting to home school Brandon because we are all currently treating Bartonella. I have decided today that the co-infection Bartonella is the DEVIL!! Screw Lyme..this one takes the cake! So we are all attempting to treat this nasty infection. It tends to cause a lot of psychological/neurological symptoms. (Moody, irritability, depression, etc)

So I am taking Flagyl and Clindamycin. Flagyl is a cyst buster so it kills the bugs that hide in cyst form. The boys are taking Cefdinir and Rifampin (the evil med!) When I tried to take that one it caused me to be severely moody!

Brandon is still having troubles with insomnia. Most of his symptoms come out at night time also. Then we deal with fatigue during the day. So we do school work in the late afternoon/early evening. Both of us are up all night and sleep all day. Yes this is the fun that our life has become!

Adam on the other hand sleeps too much. He has a lot of fatigue and leg weakness. Some days he will go to school; come home and go right to sleep again from 3pm to 9pm; get up and eat, take meds and shower; then go back to bed until 7am to go to school again. He can do this at any time and for days at a time. Sometimes all week!

Adam seems to tolerate the meds pretty well. Brandon has a lot of troubles with his stomach and can't tolerate meds as well.

So how am I? Well most days I don't know how I am because I am too busy taking care of sick kids to worry about me. I am on the back burner. Then it catches up with me and I fall apart.

Today was a bad day. Seems to be many lately where I am a mess. Moody, mean, irritable, and severely depressed! I think it's from the Bartonella treatment. Happens every time I try to treat this bacteria. I already normally have mood swings and severe anxiety. So when I try to treat this it gets 100 time worse. Sometimes even feeling like taking a whole bottle of sleeping pills and going to sleep! (don't worry I most likely won't do that...since taking care of the kids is my main priority that would be horribly selfish of me!) Though these feelings of not being able to control your moods are so horrible! You know you feel so bad and can not do anything about it. Then you treat others badly too :( I try all day to "cheer myself up"...as if it were that easy...sigh...

Anyways, I am rambling on this blog. Usually I post more info for everyone but just not feeling up to it lately. Though I do want to share a few links to a problem that I have with lyme that causes me to be severely fatigued. It is also why I have a severe heat intolerance and stay in the AC all summer instead of outside!

Many people with lyme (and some without) have what's called Dysautonomia or POTS (postural tachycardia syndrome).

The below information explains a lot of the problems that I have with heat intolerance, fatigue and anxiety. Brandon also has these same problems. Adam has some of them.

Check this site out...(just copy and paste it into your web browser)
http://www.potsplace.com/

(Below is a paragraph from the site above)
Dysautonomia literally means dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system. The autonomic nervous system is the master regulator of organ function throughout the body. It is involved in the control of heart rate, blood pressure, temperature, respiration, digestion and other vital functions. Dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system can produce the apparent malfunction of the organs it regulates. For this reason, dysautonomia patients often present with numerous, seemingly unrelated maladies.


Here is another link...(just copy and paste it into your web browser)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postural_orthostatic_tachycardia_syndrome#Symptoms

Here is a list of the symptoms that I have (more are listed in the links above)
(These symptoms can be random but note that heat, exercise and eating can exacerbate symptoms)
~ lightheadedness, sometimes called pre-syncope (pre-fainting)
~ dizziness (but not vertigo, which is also called dizziness)
~ exercise intolerance
~ extreme fatigue
~ generalized weakness
~ excessive thirst (polydipsia)
~ cold extremities
~ disorientation
~ dyspnea (shortness of breath)
~ headache
~ muscle weakness & tremors
~ visual disturbances
~ heart palpitations
~ excessive sweating
~ intolerance to heat
~ numbness or tingling sensations
~ noise & light sensitivity

Autonomic dysfunction is thought to cause additional gastrointestinal symptoms:
~ abdominal pain or discomfort
~ bloating after meals
~ feeling full quickly
~ constipation & diarrhea
~ nausea
~ bladder dysfunction (excessive urination)

Can also cause cognitive difficulties like:
~ brain fog
~ decreased mental stamina
~ depression
~ difficulty finding the right word
~ impaired concentration
~ sleep disorders

Inappropriate levels of epinephrine (adrenaline) and norepinephrine (stress hormone) lead to anxiety-like symptoms:
~ chills
~ feelings of fear
~ flushing
~ overheating
~ nervousness
~ over-stimulation

~ Chemical sensitivities (May have multiple chemical sensitivity and can be very sensitive to medications - may only need small doses) This is a big one for me! I have a low or zero tolerance for the following: alcohol, caffiene, many prescription medications, 2nd hand smoke (yes it's a chemical, actually many!), strong perfumes or other strong smells (again chemicals). I am sure I am missing some but you get the point...

Symptoms of POTS overlap considerably with those of generalized anxiety disorder, and a misdiagnosis of an anxiety disorder is not uncommon.

This link actually lists Lyme disease as a cause of Dysautonomia!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysautonomia#Causes

7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you all are dealing with this. I too am suffering from dysautonomia and it sucks, like lyme isn't enough to deal with. I hope you guys feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful article. Ironic you wrote this, because I am currently writing an article about Bart for my book site because I too have Bart. I was undiagnosed with it for 2 years and why my Lyme treatments were not successful. Since I started treatment, the biaxin/Cipro combo worked wonderfully. I now switched to Ceftin and that is not so good for it. However since treatment, my anxiety and heat intolerance has all but disappeared. Even my seizures and heart complications are sooo much better to the point they are no longer problematic. Still fighting the double whammy of the liver complications of treatment and the complications to my liver from the Bart alone. Lots of Andrographis and Milk thistle. Lots of luck to you and your family! I really like your blog- keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you are not feeling well. Our daughter has Lyme/Bart. Erh,...

    We tried treating the Bart with Cipro, not good. Made her anxiety worse.

    We will try Bactrim soon, after school gets out. Not that she goes every day. Worse since the Cipro. She did much better on Rifampin.

    Good luck to you and the boys, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read over and over again about co-infections and have wondered if anyone with lyme has ever been tested for Blastocystis Hominis and Dientamoeba Fragilis? The two bugs cause many of the same symptoms and I really wonder if they could also play a part in this whole lyme problem. They are also two bugs that doctors claim "do not cause issues" but if you look even in wikipedia, it is mentioned in Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The reason I ask is that those two bugs, especially Blastocystis cause a huge range of GI issues due to intestinal permeability and inflammation and why not look into as a possibility to reduce suffering. If you are interested in checking into it, or the symptoms, the website is (I hope this is allow, the site sells nothing) www.badbugs.org Give it a chance....who knows it may also be a factor...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dysautonomia, wow. I read the list and was checking them off in my head. I have Bart too, it's a stinker. The intolerance to heat and bloating after meals is my daily pet peeve this summer. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From personal experience: DO NOT try Cipro (or any quinolones for that matter) since those are CAUSING anxiety and CNS problems. The details are here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_effects_of_fluoroquinolones

    All quinolones are VERY TOXIC and should only be used as last resort antibiotics (eg for a dying patient).

    ReplyDelete