Nymph Tick

Nymph Tick

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Psychiatric side of Lyme

Thank you in advance for anyone who reads this! I am going to try to not only blog sometimes about daily life but I will try to educate and raise awareness about lyme disease also.

Today is my youngest sons 11th birthday. Wow, how time flies! We had a nice dinner with family at Olive Garden and I made a yummy chocolate cake. I think he had a great day and was in a very good mood.

Yeah cause lately he has been very moody! I am not sure if this is lyme, his aspergers or early puberty. Or yikes for me if it's all 3 at once!!

I am going to find some good information to post here about the Psychiatric part of Lyme disease. I find it quit interesting and I think most people don't even know there is a link. I will also post some info about the cognitive problems it causes.

********************************************************************
Copy and past the below links into your internet browser to read more....I will post a paragraph from each link...

This is a really good brochure explaining the psychiatric side of lyme. I gave a copy to my own therapist before.
http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/Psychiatric_Brochure_08_08.pdf
"At any time after a tick bite, patients may also exhibit cognitive symptoms such as memory and concentration impairments and word-finding difficulties, ADHD-like symptoms, learning disabilities, OCD, crying spells, rages, depression/bipolar disorder, panic/anxiety disorders and psychosis - all may be caused or exacerbated by Lyme disease."

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/pjlanghoff/psychiatric%20lyme%20disease.htm
"Psychosis, hallucinations, dementia, delusions, paranoia, rage, aggression, suicidal thinking, anxiety attacks, ADD, ADHD, OCD? words that would make any patient, physician, family member or researcher recoil when reading about the possibility that Lyme disease can cause one or more of these or other psychiatric issues."

http://www.lymeinfo.net/Shea-Leventhal.pdf
The cognitive problems associated with Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses include difficulty with:
1) attention and concentration,
2) speed and efficiency of processing information,
3) learning and memory,
4) auditory processing and language expression,
5) planning and organization and
6) multitasking.
These cognitive symptoms have a significant impact on learning and school performance.

There are also a lot of neurological problems associated with lyme disease. Once it gets into your brain and your nervous system it can cause a whole list of problems. I will post some of this information into future blogs so check back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment